Industrial Design Co-op
4-6 month Opportunity
Inters at Tool are part of a small team that develop a variety of consumer and commercial products. Design interns support in research, brainstorming, sketching, and concept development. Having a strong digital sketching ability is necessary and constant. Currently, most of our work gets pushed through Adobe CC products, with some use of other creative software apps like Procreate on iPads.
- Create product solutions that embody a strong aesthetic sense and capture a brand aesthetic in a way that stimulates people’s senses and emotions.
- Have excellent form development ability, manifesting a brands tone and personality through product form.
- Familiarity with technical skills: CAD – Solidworks; excellent sketching; color, material & finish, rapid sketch development, prototyping, and visualization in Keyshot or equivalent.
- Develop 3D digital surface models of high complexity and sophistication that are both aesthetically accurate and technically robust.
- Support in the definition and development of new product offerings that deliver new value and achieve our client’s business objectives.
- Demonstrate the ability to think strategically, while developing a strong rationale for your design recommendations that are based on consumer, brand, and business rationale.
- Combine appropriate design methods, theory and content to address a particular clients business challenges.
- Innovate within known high and low volume manufacturing techniques, specifying materials, construction, mechanisms, color and surface finish.
- Survey the work of other designers in the global design community to identify best practices, methods, tools and approaches.
- Working towards a BA/BS in Industrial Design or equivalent experience.
- Have a strong understanding of the human-centered design process.
- Have a strong capacity for critical thought and information synthesis.
- Have the desire to work in a fast paced environment with demanding deadlines.
- You are curious, kind, and respectively challenge yourself and others around you.
- You are the type of person that goes above and beyond in your class.
- You’re passionate about solving the relevant problems and possess an insatiable entrepreneurial compass.
This role is onsite in Marblehead, MA at TOOL’s studio. It is not a remote position. Covid-19 vaccination required. U.S. Citizenship Required. Interested candidates should submit a resume and portfolio/work samples. Please limit submissions to 10MB. Submissions without a portfolio will not be considered.